Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a dilemma is a problem with only two options as solutions... according to the original Latin


I learned that in my Modern American Usage Class

So, here' s my dilemma. I applied for two jobs that I wanted. One was in the Acquisitions Department of the Library on campus as a bibliographer. They wanted someone with German language skills and I thought, "hey I have German language skills" so I went ahead and applied. The second job I applied for about two days later. It was for an Editorial Assistant in the University Accessibility Center. They create alternative forms of text books for students with disabilities and since I'm an editing minor I decided this would be a better choice for me and my future career goals. Also, it pays like a dollar an hour more which, when you're poor and married, makes a big difference.
Ok, so I had an interview with the first job last Friday and they said they would let me know by today. On Tuesday, I was contacted for an interview with the second job which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. This afternoon (Wednesday) I received an email from the first job saying that they wanted to hire me. I'm sort of stressing this as I'm sure you can understand.
I would rather have the Editorial job but I don't want to turn down the Library job because I don't know if I'll get the Editorial job. Also, I can't make the Library wait too long because I'm pretty sure they wanted somebody to start before Thanksgiving and I don't know if I'll find out about the Editorial job before then. This whole situation is making me really nervous. They're both really good jobs and I would love to do them both but honestly I was hoping the Library wouldn't want me just so I wouldn't have this problem but the interview went really well and I was pretty sure I was going to get it and I've been freaking out about this for a while (yes that's a run-on sentence).
I'll let you all know how it goes. I've never had this problem before and I hope that the way I choose to handle it doesn't screw me over.

P.S. As badly as I wanted to I was determined not to write anything on our blog until Cory did. Finally I could write something.

1 comment:

Melissa F said...

congrats getting the library job! good luck deciding. :( i know you can do it! I know what you're feeling though- it'll work out. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...